Hooray, it’s summer and vacation season! Which means you can finally take a break from calendars, stress, and daily routines and begin planning a much-needed solo or family vacation. Whether it’s traveling for business or leisure one thing is certain:
Our normal fitness routines get completely thrown out the window when we are on vacation or traveling. Here are few tips to staying fit and fabulous while having fun in the sun:
1. Hotels worldwide are making it hard for you to come up with excuses to not exercise. Heck, many of them have gyms that rival the ones we have at home. PH360TIP1: If the gym is not for you, many hotel rooms now include “fitness zones” and balance balls, resistance bands, instructional cards and brochures and a dedicated fitness channel.
2. Many hotels are partnering with local gyms and studios to offer guests new ways to stay fit. The majority of hotels, resorts, cruise lines and adventure parks, offer an array of workout options to meet your needs:
- Cross fit
- Studio Spin
- Personal trainers and group training
3. Unless your vacation plans include remaining horizontal the entire time, you will likely spend some time on walking tours of local attractions and other adventures. PH360TIP2: vacation is the perfect time to incorporate ankle weights into your daily routine. PH360TIP3: aim for 10,000 steps per day as you trek your way through your destination's tourist sites.
4. Try something new on vacation. PH360TIP4: Rent a bike, kayak, or surfboard. Many rental shops also offer lessons. Break from your routine while on vacation, and burn a few calories while you're at it.
Don’t get me wrong; it’s ok to give yourself a break. Time off is for relaxing, resetting and taking time away from daily schedules. So, whether it is walking, hiking, swimming or taking a scheduled class, make a commitment to incorporate at least one hour every other day to some sort of exercise while traveling or on vacation – NO EXCUSES.