National Physical Fitness and Sports Month is a great time to spread the word about the benefits of getting active. At PH360, our mission is to encourage people of all ages and body types to be physically active on a regular basis. The time that you dedicate to keep your body moving will reward you tenfold in happiness with the extra energy, productivity and good health that you will enjoy for the rest of your life.
Here are just a few benefits of physical activity:
- Children and adolescents — Physical activity can improve muscular fitness, bone health and heart health.
- Adults — Physical activity can lower the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some types of cancer.
- Older adults — Physical activity can lower the risk of falls and improve cognitive functioning (like learning and judgment skills).
- Communities, health professionals and families can work together to create opportunities for everyone to get more physical activity.
DID YOU KNOW: National Physical Fitness and Sports Month was designated in 1983 by the President's Council on Fitness to promote healthy lifestyles among all Americans and improve our quality of life.
Help us raise awareness about the benefits of physical activity — and spread the word about fun ways to get moving. Here are just a few ideas:
- Encourage families to make small changes, like taking a walk after dinner or going for a bike ride.
- Motivate teachers and administrators to make physical activity a part of every student’s day.
- Identify youth leaders in the community who can talk to their peers about the importance of being active.
By helping us spread the word, you become an active participant in improving the health and wellness of our neighbors, friends and family throughout the community.
Sources: active.com, health.gov, mayoclinic.org